Lady Haig’s Poppy Factory
After the First Wold War, Field Marshall Earl Haig dedicated his life to helping ex-servicemen and women.
John McCrae’s poem In Flanders Fields, written during the Frist World War inspired American Moina Michael to have the idea of the poppy as a symbol of remembrance. Working with Earl Haig the first Poppy Appeal took place in 1921. In 1926 Lady Haig established the Lady Haig Poppy factory in Edinburgh.
The demand for poppies and for employment grew and the poppy has become the symbol of Remembrance for those who lost their life in battle.
Lady Haig’s Poppy Factory continues to make poppies which are distributed throughout Scotland and raise over £2 million a year. These funds are used to provide tailored support as funding to ex-servicemen and women.
Each year the Royal British Legion Scotland honour the contribution of the Field Marshall at the Founders Day Service at Dryburgh.